What does it mean to be a Minority Serving Institution?
In 2015, UCSB was designated both a Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI) and an Asian American Native American Pacific Islander-Serving Institution (AANAPISI), by the US Department of Education, reflecting our undergraduate enrollment of Latinx/Chicanx, Asian American, and Pacific Islander students. UCSB was the first member of the prestigious Association of American Universities (AAU) to become an HSI.
These designations make UCSB faculty, staff and students eligible to apply for Minority-Serving Institution (MSI) grants, internships and partnerships:
- Department of Education HSI Program
- Department of Education AANAPISI Program
- National Science Foundation
- National Institute for Food and Agriculture
- Department of Defense
- HSI Scholarships and Internships for Students